Saturday, April 23, 2005

So cool

We have been having freakishly cool weather here this weekend. It was only in the low 50's today and breezy to the point you had to actually wear a jacket or sweatshirt. We worked in the yard all day weeding and getting ready to plant some annuals. Good thing we do not have them in the ground already because they are calling for a hard freeze tonight. Neighbors have been outside today covering their plants so they don't get hit. I guess sometimes being behind on stuff works out good sometimes. This is the first Saturday hubby has had off in weeks, so we are running a little behind on getting our yard ready for spring/summer, but it still looks great if I do say so myself. I put out a jackson vine (smilax smallii) about 4 years ago and it has grown very slowly, but this spring is taking off with a vengence.

I love this vine as it reminds me of an area of our downtown where many of the old homes have Jackson Vine draped across the upper moldings of their front porches. When I was a small girl I could imagine the ladies on their front porch drinking lemonade while the Jackson vine swayed with the wind. Wow, that was deep wasn't it? It is a very pretty vine and an evergreen and you can use it for decorating and such. Especially during Christmas, and I have had friends ask me for cuttings to use at weddings.

Hubby and I noticed the amount of Trilliums we have coming up in our yard this year. The past year we have seen one or two, but today we counted at least 10 just in our back yard. We mow around them because they are considered endangered, but we seem to be blessed with them. Our yard is covered with hardwood trees and it is pretty shady in the back, which happens to be the condition that Trilliums love.

After we finished working in the yard, it was time for our son to go pick up his date for his senior prom. We took a lot of pictures and they headed out to meet a group of friends at a nice restaurant before they headed off to the dance. I hope they are careful. Our night will be spent making brownies and just having a nice little family night. I need to catch up on my email as I have not been home very much lately and have not had much time to get anything done. I did actually get to read a few emails and make a few replies before I headed out to lunch with a group of friends, but my box if full and I really need some time to sit down and clean it out, and update my address book.

This coming week will be very busy as I have a field trip with my son on Monday, and my daughter will have to be picked up early every day next week due tryouts for an activity at my daughter's new school. I am going to try to make it to the gym every day if I can.

As for now, we have our chiminea blazing outside and it's time to go roast marshmallows and make somore's.

Have a great and fabulous weekend!

No comments: