Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Go ahead, make my day

Today is my day off from the gym. I officially proclaim this day my day of rest. I am the Queen of me. I am sitting here with a big ole mug o' hazelnut coffee flavored with low fat vanilla creamer...yum!!!! I was just watching Good Morning America, and I could not help but laugh at the response from a story that Charlie Gibson just did. Seems that some people (liberals) are up in arms because down in Florida, Jeb just signed the "Force with Force" law. This law states that people have a right to meet "force with force" to defend themselves on the street. The response from a few of the people they interviewed totally cracked me up. They were almost the equivalent of "Oh my gosh, who would want to defend themselves?', or 'Force with Force? Why would you want to use force against someone who wants to kill you? Wouldn't you want to make them your friend?". Please people. This law means that is someone attacks you on the street, you can actually defend yourself. OH MY GOSH! What is this world coming to???

On another note, my daughter may get her first taste of rejection today. I would say at the age of 12, almost 13, that's pretty good. She has always been one of those kids that was chosen for everything she went for. In other words, she gets what she wants. She is a good kid, a honor roll student, and very talented in many areas. Her artwork is chosen every year for display at the local art festival. She has been named star student every year that she has been in school. A paper she wrote, won her a trip to Dauphin Island to learn and explore coastal areas and it's animals. You get the point....she wins. This time she may not win. I think I may be more worried about her potential rejection than she is. For some strange reason, my tomboyish girl has turned into a girl this year. Her best friend just made the competition cheerleading squad at her middle school which may have influenced her to try out for her school's dance team. This week, our afternoons have been busy with me picking her up from one school and hauling her to another for the initial practices where they learn their routines. After practice, she comes home and practices some more. Today is the day. Tryout day. Now, I am not saying she is a bad dancer, but this child has never even wanted to go to dance class. Every year I ask her, and every year she turns down the opportunity to take dance. She is too into horses. Instead of dance, she has been taking English horseback riding and she has done this for years. She was more into jumping than anything else. Of course, the lady that coaches her says she is a natural (naturally), but that is horseback riding, not dancing. We do not have a horse or anywhere to even put a horse, but this is what she has been doing at a local barn. She take lessons. But not dance lessons. So like I said, this may be her day of rejection. If she does make it, it will be for the following reasons: She is a good kid, she is an honor roll student and has been her whole time in school, she is determined, oh...and...she always wins.

Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: