Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Losing it

I guess that's me. I must be losing it. Today instead of going to the gym and getting in all the work/school traffic, I decided I would take a nice long walk. Well, the walk turned into a full on run. I had so much energy and felt so much better. I had a nice long 45 minute walk/run. I did some hills too. Now I am back on the Advil with my back. I am wondering why I insist on killing myself. Argh! However, the bright spot is I am wearing a pair of capri's I have not worn in awhile, and I can actually breathe in them. I guess that's why.

My younger son graduates next week and this has left me a little teary. Off and on I get a little misty when I think about it. I cannot believe I have 2 kids out of high school already. One is off in the Navy and the other starts college in the fall. My daughter will start middle school this fall. In our neck of the woods, you are not in middle school until you are in 7th grade which is not a bad thing. I live in an area that boasts some of the highest scores in the state when it comes to school systems, so this is sort of their philosophy. I am fortuntate to have smart kids, including a smart daughter who blows the SAT's away every single year, and is part of the Duke University Talent Search which is for the smartest of the smart kids. She has been in this program since 2nd grade when the girl was already reading high school level material. I mean, I hate to brag, but this is just amazing to me that a kid can be this smart. She has been invited to an Ivy League school this summer in Boston to participate in what she refers to as "Nerd Camp" to learn about environmental issues. I would love for her to go, but I am not sure she needs to be left in Boston, many miles away, for 2 1/2 weeks with hubby and myself not there. This is also the same time period that her grandmother has hip replacement surgery. She was very apprehensive about that also, so instead, she has settled for beginning band camp, and dance camp this summer. It didn't break her heart to stay home and be a normal kid. She told me the other day, it's nice to be smart but just be a regular kid. She is happy we don't parade her around like a side show and brag constantly about her. She is also happy to stay in the grade she is in with her friends and not be moved up with kids she hardly knows. To me, that's very smart.

As for my younger son, he is very smart also, but chooses to just be lazy and not study because in his words, he does not have to. HA! We will see how long you keep that up in college dude. He is more excited about his tickets to see the new Star Wars tonight at midnight, than graduating.

Glad to see my kids have things in perspective.

*groan*

No comments: