Monday, August 22, 2005

You know it's Monday when....

Today was a day that started out like all others. I get up, get on my elliptical for 20 mins, get my daughter up, jump in the shower, her friend comes over to catch the bus, I walk by our rabbit and.....he was dead. Yep, it was a sad day at our house today. Ears was our rabbits name and he was a caramel colored mini rex - a very small house rabbit that we keep in a fairly largish cage in our house. He has been a lot of work, but he brought much joy to us all. House rabbits are sort of like cats (he was litter trained), but we didn't let him roam the house because he had a crush on all the electrical outlets. He loved to chew them! When we got him, he was a cute little caramel bundle of fur. You could literally hold him in the palm of your hand. He grew to the size of our peekapoo dog, about 10 pounds when we last had him weighed. I knew his time was short because he was 9 years old, which is old for a rabbit, and we had also been told he may have cancer. He looked so peaceful this morning although I was so upset. He was so sweet. I should have known he didn't feel good a couple of days ago when I gave him a hunk of banana, he turned it down. Anyone who knew him knew that bananas were his weakness and he would never turn them down. Whenever you would get near his cage he would stand on his hind legs and hold on to the bars until you pet him on the head. I am gonna miss that little bundle of fur. Hubby built him a little wood casket today and placed him inside and wrapped him in some nice soft flannel. We decorated the box and wrote things to him on the outside. He was buried in the pouring rain.

*sniff*

2 comments:

Gregg said...

Sorry to hear about the rabbit. It's a bummer when you get attached to them and then they go and die on you, huh?

I never understood the draw to rabbits as pets. I prefer animals that will jump on you in bed or lick your nose in the morning when it's time to get up and eat.

Gregg

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOooooo!! I am so sorry!! That is a long time to have any pet. I am sure you were very attached. *hugs*