Saturday, August 13, 2005

Vroooom!

Okay, I think the time has come. Friday while I was driving to work, my transmission light came on yet again. This really pissed me off as I have had my Jeep worked on several time (under warranty) on the transmission. Now the warranty time is ending, and here comes that damn light again. So, while we have no kids this weekend, hubby and I have been test driving various cars. First up was the Mustang I want so badly. While I loved it, hubby did not. He says it is built cheaply as evidenced by the fact that the hood of the car does not even line up with the side panels on the front of the car. I liked the way it drove, but it is only a four passenger car, and I thought and thought about this, and that is just not going to be practical for us. My 6' son joined us and his poor legs were drawn up to his chest while he was in the back seat and he had a strained look on his face when he explained how comfy it was because he knew I wanted one so bad. I still do, but at this point, it probably will not happen. *sigh* *groan*

Next up was a 2004 Infinity G35 which only had 250 miles on it. Seems our Infinity dealership has several of these left from last year and now I know why. Although the car is almost 2 years old in car age, they still want the sticker price on them. The car listed at $37,000 in 2004 and that was the price they tried to get out of us today. I explained to the salesperson that if I purchased it and drove it off the lot, it would immediately depreciate 2 years worth and I refuse to pay almost full purchase price for a two year old car. No way! I told him we were heading directly to the BMW dealership where I was sure I could get a 2006 BMW 325i for the same price that he wanted for his 2004 car (later I was proven correct as we went by the BMW dealership which was already closed). We also had a tremendous fun driving experience driving the Dodge Charger with a Hemi! Wow...that car was fun. You know, fun is not enough. It was very roomy and had lots of get up and go, but the interior was made VERY cheaply, and I could not see this car holding up for as long as we would need it to. It was fun to drive though.

Our last stop (before the closed BMW dealership) was the Jeep dealership. With all the employee pricing, we thought we would give Jeep a go. I do not like the look on the outside of the new Jeep, but the interior is nicer and has more room than ours. This one was equipped with a DVD system and Sirius radio and all the really fun stuff. I am not sure how the bottom line got to almost $8000 more than what the special employee pricing was, but I can't swallow a $38,000 price tag for a car like we already have and have had several problems with already. I am not sure what we are going to do at this point. Our Jeep has an appointment for Monday morning in the shop, and I guess when they tell us what they find, at that point we will decide what to do. We do plan to hit the BMW dealership on Tuesday and drive a BMW and see what we come up with there. I hate this whole process of buying a car and all the bull you have to go through. Who knows, we may end up keeping what we have and just dealing with whatever problems as they come up, but it sure would be nice to have a newer car that gets better gas mileage.

Anyways, vroooom and stuff.

1 comment:

Star said...

Don't you hate car shopping? Good luck.