Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ahhhhhh

Wow, finally a nice quiet night at home. No where to go, no one to haul around. Nice for a change. This is the night where I catch up on life. Where to start? Well, just went back to work after having a 2 1/2 week break, and I have a holiday tomorrow. The days I have been there it's been pretty busy and crazy. Over the Christmas break, Talulah (daughter) got herself a new boyfriend. I still wish she would wait until high school for the boyfriend thing, but if she is going to do it, at least this time it seems she got a nice one. He is very shy, quite and cute. He does not seem like the smooth, player type that is just out for one thing. Fortunate for us, she does not want a boy like that either. She wants a sweet boy that likes her for her and isn't trying to put the moves on everyone in sight and isn't all full of himself. She has been there, done that and has had enough of it already. Good for her I say. The times that we have been around the new boy (hockey game, movie, etc.) he seems a little overwhelmed by her and her noisy friends, but has a big smile on his face the whole time. He seems to enjoy it. They have the same lunch and sit together along with her friends who are trying to pull him out of his shell. I wonder if they will be successful?

This is a stressful time for parents of teenage girls (and boys). I didn't worry about my boys as much as I do my girl. I guess I know there is more at stake here since I remember how it was when I was a teenage girl (girls getting pregnant while in school, etc). Although I worry about my daughter, I know she is a strong girl and that she will be the best she can be. She is adamant about how she wants her life to be, college, career and maybe marriage later on. I guess I need to let go a little more, but it's so hard. I do not want her making the same mistakes I made. It is so different today than when I was a teenage girl. There are so many more harmful things than there were back then. Diseases you can get now will actually kill you. I remember our biggest fear back in my day was VD - now we have AIDS. Also, kids seem much colder and meaner now. It's almost like they have lost their conscience or something. I don't want her to be like that and I don't want her around kids like that either. I know I can't protect her from everything, but I can be here for her when she needs me and guide her in the right direction. It worked with my two boys and it can work for her too. If we can get through middle school, the high school years are somewhat better. If we can get through the boy thing, that will be good too.

On a much lighter note, the weather here has been freakishly warm. As bad as I want some snow, looks like we will never get it. We bought this really cool sled about 4 years ago and we have not gotten to use it once. It sucks since we have some really awesome hills around here that are perfect for sledding. Maybe one day....

Well, I am going to go read some blogs that I have been missing lately.

Ciao!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hey there! I had to look around a bit here before I was sure this was you. What happened to your template?

I hear you on your daughter. I have 2 and am so scared of puberty for those same reasons. I have a 16 year old step-son that doesn't worry me as much. I guess that's the way it goes...

Hope you have a great day! :)

Gregg said...

Deb- I was one of those shy, cute, quite types. Beware!!! Girls think they are so safe with boys like us that they let down their guard ;-) gregg